Wednesday, July 19, 2006
The big chill....
While I was incredibly excited to have the chance to chat with my son via MSN messenger all the way across the "grossen Teich", it has proven to be more of a hindrance. We chatted daily for about a week until I received an email from him requesting to take a "time out". It appears he felt strange about the whole thing. Needless to mention, I was distraught for a moment. Here I was, 21 years in agony over a child I could not see with a new chance of reconnecting and I felt that I had blown it.

I sent him a brief but understanding email....and will wait for him to come back 'round. It occurred to me that the anonymity of Internet chat is not always a good thing. In this case, the exchanges were brief, somewhat disconnected and didn't lend themselves to forging a relationship between a lost child and mother. I should've thought of that before I happily agreed to exchange MSN handles. What we really needed was a "real-time" visit, good old fashioned snail mail letters and photo exchanges and the like. A much slower approach to forging a relationship. The instant exchanges of photos, meaningless banter and the like didn't help or apparently mean a whole lot in the scope of things.

I do understand his feelings.... and respect them. I think I will go and buy some funky stationary and write an old-fashioned letter with postage and everything.
 
posted by Gina at 3:18 PM | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At 6:51 PM, Blogger Andy

    Always endeavoring to be the eternal optimist, I'm here to tell you not to lose sight of what you have already accomplished. You've got your foot in the door, so to speak, and that in itself is a good thing.

    Be proud of that!

    As hard as it may be, don't rush to make things happen. They will happen in their own time (or his own time, as the case may be).

    I like your idea of a real handwritten old-fashioned letter. Something *tangible* to hold on to, and much more personal that bits flying through the infosphere. Nice touch!

     

Quotation of the Day

eXTReMe Tracker