Monday, August 07, 2006
Teen kills mom during driving lesson
This is about the saddest thing I saw on the news this morning. The 39-year old mother was giving her 15-year old daughter driving lessons and the girl hit the gas instead of the brakes while parallel parking. Imagine that? The poor kid. What an incredible trauma to sustain. I would never want to get into another car for the rest of my life. The sadness over the loss of the mother and the guilt for having caused it, incredibly difficult.

I think about my son getting behind the wheel in a couple of years. The way he views cars frightens me! He is in that phase right now where he just wants the coolest and fastest car possible. I'm hearing his enthusiasm at being able to drive soon, but I'm also hearing him boast how fast he's going to drive etc. That certainly doesn't serve to eliminate my fears of him getting hurt or worse.

I have a healthy respect for all cars, big or small, having been in a couple of wrecks in my life. Luckily I never sustained any serious injuries but it's still traumatic. I can't remember the last time I drove without a seatbelt!

Looking at today's teens driving habits - they drive while putting on make-up, talking on the cell phone, with music blasting and thumping. How can they pay attention to traffic this way? I'm glad legislature approved the fine and banned cell phone's for teens while driving. It's just a disaster waiting to happen. Hopefully, I can teach my son safe driving and I won't have to worry about standing too close to the car and getting run over by accident. I still have a couple of years, so that eases my mind somewhat.

My heart goes out to the family of the girl and her mother...truly a distressing situation.
 
posted by Gina at 7:42 AM | Permalink |


0 Comments:


Quotation of the Day

eXTReMe Tracker