Thursday, November 23, 2006
Thanksgiving is every day

Once again we are bombarded with Black Friday flyers and news stories about insane mobs descending upon malls (and ensuing chaos, murder and mayhem over terry bath towels for 1.99). I tuned into my favorite oldies station just a few days ago and found that programming had changed to have Old Blue Eyes crooning Christmas songs 24/7. I am aghast at how commercial the holidays really have become.

I don't buy into the retail frenzy, nor do I spend unGodly amounts of time planning an elaborate dinner, decorating the halls or sending boxes of holiday cards to everyone I have ever known. This sort of thing just leaves me cold. Not that I don't like the holiday season, au contraire, mon ami. I love the smell of fresh blue fir in my house as well as fresh baked cookies and applepie. Yet, to me it's more about the season itself and not all the stress inducing trappings that seem to come with it these days.

There is something cleansing about the trees in my yard shedding their leaves to rest up for the next Spring (I could do without all the raking though, Ha!). The closer time is to the end of yet another year, the more contemplative I become. Could I have done things differently throughout the year? Should I revisit my decisions and vow to do better next year? Somehow next year comes all too quickly with each passing year and somehow decisions do not get a do-over - most of the time.

Thanksgiving is one of those holidays that actually doesn't have a lot of meaning to me, being a German immigrant and all. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving American style in Germany, it's more about giving thanks to the one above for a great harvest. That makes a lot more sense to me than fighting for the plumpest Turkey at the grocery and spending hours dressing it up. Plus, I'm not too crazy about eating Turkey in 50 variations for the next few weeks.

Sure, giving thanks for our fortunes is a nice touch. Yet, why not be greatful every day? All too often we hurry along through our days without a second thought and go to sleep at night checking off our to-do lists for tomorrow. Perhaps we ought to just stop and say thanks on a daily basis.

I received an email from a family member the other day. It included a photo of a starving child in Africa about to be devoured by a vulture. I wasn't too keen on being included on this family distribution list; however, the picture did give me pause. We have become so spoiled with our ready availability of food and abundance that we forget how fortunate we truly are on this side of the planet. We toss things out that could have a million other uses for someone else, we leave left-overs in the fridge until they grow lovely green appendages, and generate so much trash that we are running out of space to hide it. It's all about "more, more, more" for "me, me, me".

So, while I will straighten up the house some today and plan on roasting a boneless Turkey breast for myself and my son (he is out of the dog house now), I will also vow to be more greatful on a daily basis. I will also snuggle more tightly under the covers come 5 am tomorrow when millions of folks will put on their running shoes to head to the mall for that incredible deal. I have everything I need right here.

I am greatful for: my son apologizing and actually meaning it, my health and continued ability to provide for my family, my soul and conscience, all those that have lent a helping hand when I needed it without asking anything in return and the fact that I live in the greatest country on Earth (well, second greatest - cannot diss Germany, sorry).

I hope that all those serving our country and are away from home will be safe and able to return home to loving arms. Thanks to all the civil servants that have to work today and keep us civilians safe from harm (sometimes from ourselves).

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
 
posted by Gina at 6:41 AM | Permalink |


0 Comments:


Quotation of the Day

eXTReMe Tracker