Monday, January 08, 2007
The hunt....
I've been perusing the job market in Germany and sent out some resumes. All indications point to a dilemma though: it appears that I am a bit out of touch what constitutes an acceptable resume there. I had forgotten that they require your date of birth as well as a current photo for consideration. To tell you the truth I find this to be discriminatory. Nobody would dream of asking your age over here with a job app, let alone demand a photo. What, if you're less than attractive you're not employable?

One of my cousins ominously pointed out that at 42 I will have a tough time finding a job, even with my bilingual skills and my MBA. German companies want nobody older than 35, she tells me, and on top of that they would prefer someone really attractive. Ok, I'm no ugly duckling but the age thing I cannot change. I have to admit it has me a bit worried. Is there really truth to this?

I've sent out a few "American-style" resumes to German companies in the past few days; mainly to see if I would even get a bite at all. I suppose if push comes to shove I'll have to shell out some serious dollars to put a "German-style" resume package together and have all of my transcripts, diplomas etc. translated into German in a chronological format. What a pain!

Then I am also a bit stumped on the housing situation. Do I really want to sell my house and move into an apartment over there? It would take me years to save up enough money for a downpayment on a mortgage over there. I did some preliminary searches in the real estate market and I haven't seen a decent house under 200,000 Euros ($265,480). I could get a semi-mansion for that kind of money over here!

Oh and let's not forget television programming. Ok, so I'm spoiled with my DVR and satellite programming; plus, during my visit, I really didn't enjoy German programming. I want my CSI in English!! Am I willing to trade that for cobblestone streets and fresh Broetchen for breakfast? This is going to give me a lot to think about for sure.
 
posted by Gina at 8:50 AM | Permalink |


0 Comments:


Quotation of the Day

eXTReMe Tracker