Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Desperately seeking...
A couple of weeks ago I decided to grab the bull by the horns and posted an ad in one of the local community boards. I felt a bit silly asking for "friends" to hang out with but truly didn't really have much choice.

In the states, I had no problems going out alone and always met people fairly easily. The folks in Bremen are a bit suspicious of any female out on her own. Especially if she starts talking to you and she doesn't even know you! I never thought I had the lady-of-the night sort of look, but apparently they look like average everyday women here. Why else would I get such strange reactions?

Sure, if I want to sit in one of the local pubs and proceed to get soused with some beers and Korn (the German equivalent to Everclear and nasty stuff!) I would certainly find someone of adult age to talk to. However, the conversation would quickly deterioriate into drunken blabbering. Not my idea of a good time. Plus, I like to remember what I talked about - what would be the point otherwise??

So this ad of mine was difficult to write but I made myself to it anyway. Surprisingly enough I did get quite a number of responses. Mostly women but some married couples as well. Interesting I thought. I mean, the ad didn't in any way even hint that I might be looking for swingers but hey, to each his own, right?

I've met up with a couple of nice ladies for coffee and a quick chat. I'm not sure that I really connected with them though. I'm a bit of a loner to begin with so it's hard for me to make instant friends. Add to that that I've been on my own and without any close friends for close to 10 years, it's really a big jump for me to put myself out there like that. Ugh. I get nervous just thinking about it! Right up there with public speaking!

I'll meet up with a couple more ladies and if that still doesn't pan out, maybe I'll have to join the local Sportsverein (it's like the Y I guess). Nothing will forge friendships faster than working up a sweat I've been told. Ha!
 
posted by Gina at 12:52 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments:


Quotation of the Day

eXTReMe Tracker