Friday, May 23, 2008
The red-headed stepchild - Envy
I work with a woman six years my senior; she has worked for this same company since completing her apprenticeship there almost 30 ago. She's been married to the same man almost 25 years and has lived in the same house and same town just as long. I find this vexing and at times can feel pings of envy.

Having moved about the world for most of my life, having survived three-and-a-half failed marriages and having switched jobs quite often I cannot fit my idea of life into hers. I am forever searching for the next best thing while she is content plodding along doing the same thing every single day.

She is content with managing her household, going on the annual vacation with her family and starting all over next year. Just the thought of repetition and drudgery makes me want to pack my bags and move to New Zealand.

I do ask myself though if there is not some comfort in this predictable pattern of life. Afterall, there are no real surprises. Tomorrow is another work day, Saturday we do the laundry, Sunday we weed the garden and in-between we take care of a husband and child. On the surface she has the perfect life.

Yet, I can't help but notice a slight twinge of envy when I have conversations with her about my many travels and moves. My experiences in other places, towns, countries are the polar opposites of hers. I am what they call here a multi-culti. Apparently this label is applied to anyone that can't sit still and be satisfied with their lot in life as well as somewhat of a world traveler who speaks multiple languages. I'm still trying to figure that one out. But I digress.

Should I be satisfied with my lot in life? And what exactly is that? I tried the marriage and housewife route and failed at it miserably. I couldn't be bothered chasing down every single dustbunny lurking under furniture and have a smallish zoo of various spider populations keeping my house fly and mosquito free. My windows get washed when I feel like it (which is next to never) and cooking receives the same dismissive attitude.

My co-worker's views on the world and how people should live their lives sometimes come across as small-minded and judgemental. She can't understand why I would want to switch jobs every three to five years and finds this manner of working almost psychotic. To her, this is a surefire sign of inadequacy and a lack of ability to adapt. Adapt to what? Groupthink?

I think I have managed to adapt quite well to all sorts of challenges. It's not that easy to move from one continent to the next on your own and hit the ground running. The inevitable bumps in the road have served to strengthen my resolve and given me tenacity. Starting over is harder as I get older yet I am still willing to subject myself to the ordeal. Why?

If you saw my home you would see a reflection of me - no artwork or fancy curtains, nothing permanent affixed anywhere. It is much easier to pack up and leave without the trappings of what I consider giving in to a life of permancy and boredom. I see a transatlantic job search in my not so far future.
 
posted by Gina at 12:50 AM | Permalink |


0 Comments:


Quotation of the Day

eXTReMe Tracker