Friday, June 06, 2008
The joys of buying a car. NOT!
After a year of riding the streetcars and buses of Bremen (great public transportation over here!), I thought I might want a car. It's just a hassle to have to take a cab home with larger grocery purchases. Add to that the exorbitant costs of train and flight tickets anywhere in Germany or Europe, buying a car seemed like a prudent idea.

The financial whiz that I am I sat and worked out what it would cost me to own a car over here. Let's pretend I'm buying a new car. A brand new Ford Focus with minor options such as AC and a GPS system will set you back about 20,000 Euros or 31,448 dollars at today's rate. Add in the cost of insurance at around 140 Euros a month for comprehensive ($220), annual taxes at around 400 Euros ($628), TUV (inspections) at around 80 Euros ($125), two oil changes per year at 70 Euros a pop ($220) PLUS.....drum roll... gasoline of course.

I know that everyone is in an uproar over high gas prices in the U.S. right now; try paying 1.60 Euro per liter which translates to roughly 10 bucks a gallon. Yes, I said TEN BUCKS A GALLON! It's not just expensive - it's obscene!

Final tally: to own a car you will need to shell out 3,500 Euros a year just for upkeep, 190 Euro for car payments and roughly 2,000 Euros for gasoline. Grand total: 7,780 Euros or 12 grand in dollars. I know this is mind boggling and I am amazed as to how many people own cars over here!!

On the flip side I spend maybe 50 Euros for public transport, plus the occasional 25 for a cab. Being the math wizard that I am, I will either have to get a second job to pay for the privilege of owning a car or stick with public transport. Goodness, I still can't get over 10 bucks a gallon...
 
posted by Gina at 11:57 AM | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At 2:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    You need a Vespa. I just bought one and love it! Groceries for one aren't hard to do with it. Haven't tried for more than one :)

     

Quotation of the Day

eXTReMe Tracker