Wednesday, August 09, 2006
Egyptian exchange students - "missing"?
The latest and greatest from our trusted news media and once again I am simply aghast at the sensationalist connotation. As I was scrolling through some of the comments left behind by CNN as well as MSNBC readers on this particular story, it struck me how misinformed the American public can be at times. The instant knee-jerk reaction to this newsstory is amazing! Half of the responders are of the impression that these young men simply waltzed through JFK illegaly from the start - when it was very clear from the story that they had F-1 student visas to begin with.

Now I was stunned and horrified by the event of Sep. 11 as much as anyone else (well maybe not Osama) but does this automatically indicate that all people of Middle Eastern descent are incognito suicide bombers or Al Quaeda? This sort of profiling could ultimately lead to vigilantism in my opinion and possible incite riots or worse. It scares me to tell you the truth.

Of course I am concerned as to where these young men are - who wouldn't be? I do not, however, subscribe to the instant belief that they are out to get me. It could all well be very innocent and perhaps they are just sight-seeing somewhere on the way to Montana? Classes don't even officially start until the end of the month!

If anything, I would say that the FBI is on top of things by making this information public so quickly albeit devoid of photographs of these men. Hey, I am fairly intuitive but psychic I am not. I am not about to suspect every person of Middle Eastern heritage as one of them.

I truly do not want to live every day in fear that some other horrific event is going to happen at any moment. I will admit that during the weeks after 9/11 I did just that. I spent way too much time glued to the news, way too much time worrying and way too much time at home in general. It's as if I was trying to spin a cocoon around me and my son, keep us safe from harm and if the end should come, at least we were together.

Five years later, well, I am still worried when he doesn't come home on time. The subsequent barrage of phonecalls to his friends in an attempt to find him does not however include thoughts of a possible terrorist attack or kidnapping. I am much more concerned about his inability to make rational decisions, his typical teenager thoughtlessness, the fact that there are numerous sex offenders residing in our Zip code and well, I am a mother so I am entitled to worry dammit.

I hope they find those young men and they get to start school as intended. I am not, however, going to be judge and jury in regards to this situation without having all the facts. Our American teenagers and college students give us enough grief on their own, thank you very much.
 
posted by Gina at 6:17 AM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


  • At 7:36 AM, Blogger Unknown

    Rightly or wrongly so, I made a decision after 9/11 to not watch the news. Having lived abroad for many years, I was spoilt by enjoying news from literally, all around the world. The news here is limited primarily to American news. Furthermore, I think it is used to instil a sense of fear, exactly that which you say you refuse to plug in to. I agree. I believe, to a certain extent, our personal safety is contractual. If my kid is late, I also want to track him down in the shortest possible time but refuse to think the worst. Let's hpope these students are safe as well - there are some pretty freaky things that could happen to someone who has never been here before who might find themselves walking down the wrong or many unsafe paths there are to take. If they would consider broadcastin at least one good news item at the end of each news program, I might reconsider watching.

     
  • At 7:44 AM, Blogger Gina

    Dawn,

    I grew up overseas as well and I was never exposed to this much news then. Perhaps the fact we didn't have cable news has something to do with it. I feel that there are way too many news programs, opinions, commentators and every one of them puts a spin on the story. It's apalling. I for one, am constantly trying to read between the lines and find back-up information to validate what is being said! For instance, I've taken to reading some Middle Eastern online newspapers (in English. Ha!) just to get the other side... it's often really interesting.

     

Quotation of the Day

eXTReMe Tracker