Saturday, August 12, 2006
The fountain of youth....


Two things got me to thinking today. First, I watched an installment of Morgan Spurlock's "30 Days" series. This 34 year old gent injected himself with testosterone and HGH to supposedly recapture his college bod. What happened instead was that his liver function tanked (due to the high number of supplements he was taking on top of the injections - 40+ pills a day - INSANE!) and his sperm count went from 80 million to zero. All within a matter of a mere three weeks. The poor guy didn't even make it the full 30 days.

I thought about this for a minute as I have a virtual smorgasbord of various supplements as well. I have read hundreds, if not thousands, of pages on recapturing your youth via this route. I must have spent well over a thousand dollars in the past two years alone on all this junk. I start out enthusiastically enough but soon forget to take them. And here they are, collecting dust and wasting valuable shelf space in my already too small kitchen. Maybe I didn't stick with it long enough to make a difference, who knows. I just get tired of swallowing a ton of pills every day.

Secondly, my More magazine showed up and emblazened on the cover: "Great Style After 40: Fashion that fits your life now" Jamie Lee Curtis is also on the cover and a bit more chunky than I remember her. But I digress. Which got me to thinking again. What exactly is that supposed to mean? It reminds me of my grandma always telling me to dress my age. I still don't know what that means either. Am I supposed to be breaking out the mumu's? They looked comfy on her but she was 80 something...

I still wear basically the same style I wore in my 20s; lots of jeans and casual shirts. I will admit that as I have gotten older I've added a few skirts to my closet - which I honestly never thought I would. Try as I might though, I cannot imagine me dressing up with $300 pants because I'm over 40 now. Sure some of the outfits in the mag look snazzy but way to office and business like for me. I can't wait to jump into my sweats when I get home from work. Dressing up in suits always makes me feel so confined and well, not me. Same with makeup. I couldn't be bothered to put it on every day, way too much work. And what's wrong with au naturel anyway?

I feel comfortable in my skin just the way it is, prefer to dance to my own tune in the clothing department and generally don't pay a lot of attention to trends and such. Sure, I love to look younger than my age but all the potions and lotions and pills in the world aren't going to stop what's happening - I am simply getting older. Grow up already Gina....you're fine the way you are. Time to toss some of those bottles of pills out. Maybe go for a walk. Drat, it's raining again...

 
posted by Gina at 3:03 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments:


Quotation of the Day

eXTReMe Tracker