Wednesday, August 30, 2006
Breaker Breaker 1-9

As I was stuck behind a convoy of 18-wheelers in traffic this morning, yesterday's post by fellow blogger Dawn got me to thinking... these darn truckers think they own the road!

While I was a great fan of the movie Convoy (I actually saw it in the theater in 1978 - that's how old it is! Ha!)....I am not a fan of big rigs acting like bullies on the road. It occurs to me that the bigger the rig, the more obnoxious the driver.

My kids used to love making those pumping motion on our highway travels and get the truckers to blow their horns. It amused them..but they were kids. Ha! And I'm digressing....

Now, I am a generous sort when it comes to sharing the road and I will let you in, including big ol' trucks if I'm not in a hurry. Sometimes they will blink at me and ackowledge the gesture but most of the time they just squeeze in and go about their way. This morning, stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic, I had nowhere to go anyway, so I let one of the truckers sitting next to me in. He graciously thanked me by blinking his tail lights. There was another truck right behind him and he didn't even wait if I was going to let him in too. He muscled his way behind the first truck and just went! No thanks either. The rat. Now that made me mad.

I can't begin to count how many times I was on the freeway trying to keep steady on the road in torrential rain, hardly able to see five feet in front of me and there comes a truck barrelling down the road with his demon lights right in my rearview mirror. And they don't slow down either. Nope. They expect ME to get out of the way. Given that I cannot see to the front, left or right of me with all this rain pounding down...well, let's just say, I was sweating bullets with this rig riding on my tail like glue. I was certain I was going to die that day. Sigh.

Nothing personal against you truckers out there - but sometimes you scare the hell out of me and truthfully I think you enjoy it! Be nice to those that are nice to you and quit being the playground bully!
 
posted by Gina at 8:56 AM | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At 8:11 PM, Blogger Andy

    Oh man...

    Gina, rent the movie "Duel" starring Dennis Weaver. Made in 1971. Very little dialog, but a great suspense/thriller.

    You'll never look at a trucker on the highway the same way again.

    And by the way... if I have the song "Convoy" stuck in my head for the rest of the week, it's YOUR FAULT!!!

     

Quotation of the Day

eXTReMe Tracker