Thursday, September 28, 2006
The value of an MBA...
..or I should say, the non-existant value of my MBA in the context of my respective employer. I requested a meeting with my boss yesterday, mainly to go over some things and also to get his pulse on where I fit in within the company. I brought a lot of experience to the table when he hired me (which is probably WHY he hired me in the first place) but since have become pigeonholed into a role that I am not comfortable, or happy, with. I told him that I am capabable of so much more and that in essence my previous position was a mix of what dadd's girl is doing on top of what I'm doing. He replied, "Well, I know you've been taking all kinds of fancy courses but I don't think we need them anywhere." I just looked at him a bit stunned.

I mean, with one sentence he pretty much cut me down to size, devalued my pursuit of an MBA to a meaningless venture and made it clear that there is no room for advancement at all.

I took the job because I needed it at the time, but I was also led to believe that he would retire soon and I would be next in line. It appears to be just a bunch of snow at this point to get me in the door. I also took a fairly big paycut at the time. It will take me two more years to recapture my previous salary. I digress....

I felt truly, well, depressed for a minute or two. Then I was pissed. Now I am just resolute in finding another job. And just to really get him going, I think I may even go after my doctorate next year. I like the sound of Dr. Gina.
 
posted by Gina at 7:26 AM | Permalink |


0 Comments:


Quotation of the Day

eXTReMe Tracker